1. Education

Deb Russell

The Link Between Math and Music

By May 9, 2009

In my role, I have seen many teachers teach multiplication through song or teachers playing music during a math lesson and of course it's well known that music and math are linked, think of timing and fractions when students learn about half notes, quarter notes etc. However, can we go as far to say that music helps to improve math scores?

Researchers have found time and again an apparent link between the arts (music most commonly) having a positive impact on – reading, math, writing, self-esteem, and brain development.Rauscher & Shaw (1997)

I can certainly appreciate the many times I've seen music and math linked but when I actually reviewed some of the research, I was excited to see it documented! See the full article on the links between math and music.

Comments

May 9, 2009 at 10:05 am
(1) Mike Barden says:

That’s what I got goin’ on. The idea that all these things are separate. No, they’re all linked together. I think.

May 9, 2009 at 10:07 am
(2) Mike Barden says:

That’s what I got goin’ on. The idea that all this things are separate. No, they’re all linked. I tnink.

May 9, 2009 at 10:16 am
(3) Mike Barden says:

Sorry about that. Didn’t realize my first comment got posted. But I did want to add something. Hasn’t it been known for some time that music follows a mathematical progression.

May 17, 2009 at 3:10 pm
(4) Peggy says:

In my observation and opinion as a 6th grade math teacher, I have calculated that approximately 80 to 85% of my best math students also play a musical instrument.
I would like to know if other math teachers have seen this among their students as well.

May 18, 2009 at 7:36 pm
(5) Mike Barden says:

I wonder if the rest could too? Here’s my experience: I took piano lessons when I was young, but was more interested in bein’ outdoors than in. Tried out for the school choir mainly because a friend had. Was told I had perfect pitch, but at the time I didn’t know what that meant. Took piano lessons again when I went to college. Durin’ the final, I now suspect I was playin’ the notes as written, but it didn’t sound right in my head, so I got up and walked away.

May 18, 2009 at 11:26 pm
(6) kahesti budiprasetyo says:

I have an autistic son, he has good ears in music so I try to teach him through music.
He understands notes and languages through songs that I play.