Here is a list of free first grade math worksheets aligned with the common core standards.
- Fact Families to 12 - Graphic Organized Facts
- Counting to 20 - Fill in the Missing Blanks
- Counting: What Comes Before and What Comes After?
- Count by 5s
- Count By 10s
- Counting By 2's
- Adding (For 1st grade adding is only to 20 without re-grouping/carrying)
- Greater than or less than to 20
- Order the numbers to 50, smallest to largest
- Telling Time Worksheets (Some of these are 2nd grade)
- Subtraction(For 1st grade subtraction is only to 15 without re-grouping/carrying)
- Hundreds Chart Worksheets
- Word Problems
- Word Problems
- More Word Problems
- Counting Pennies (US, Canadian and Generic Pennies)
- Counting US coins to 50 cents
- Counting Canadian coins to 50 cents
- Addition Sentences to 10
- Ordinal Numbers to 10(First, second etc.)
- Adding to 10
- Adding to 15
- Adding to 20
- How Many More to 10
- Fill in the Missing Numbers - to 10
- How many less - to 10
- Subtraction Facts to 10
- Patterning Worksheets
- Understanding 1/2
- Geometry: Shape Book
- 10 Geometry Worksheets for late Kindergarten and Grade 1
- Beginning Fractions: Concept of 1/2.
When working with first grade students, it's important to start from where they are. It is also important to focus on thinking concepts. For instance, think about this word problem: A man has 10 balloons and the wind blew 4 away. How many are left?
Here's another way to ask the question: A man was holding some balloons and the wind blew 4 away. He only has 6 balloons left, how many did he start with?
Too often we ask questions where the unknown is at the end of the question, but the unknown can also be put at the beginning of the question.