Degree - The greatest exponent in a polynomial or equation.
- 3x13 + 5x3 (Degree: 13)
- h5 + h4 + h8 + h3 + h12 + h2 + 13h (Degree: 12)
- y = -5b + 19 (Degree : 1; Note, b is raised to the 1st power.)
- ƒ(x) = 5x9 - 5 (Degree: 9)
Why is This Important?
- The degree of a function determines the most number of solutions that the function could have.
- The degree of a function determines the most number of times a function will cross the x-axis.
- y = x (Degree: 1; Only 1 solution)
- y = x2 (Degree: 2; Two possible solutions)
- y = x3 (Degree: 3; Three possible solutions)